Citizenship Education Teacher Award
Each year, the Veterans of Foreign Wars selects elementary, middle and high school teachers to
participate in the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher program.
Effective this year:
- Nominations due to Post by October 31st
- Post must complete judging by November 15th and submit to District
- District must complete judging by December 15th and submit to Department
- Department judging must be completed and submitted to National by February 1st
Who Is Eligible?
1. Teachers who promote civic responsibility, flag etiquette and patriotism are prime
candidates for this award. For example, do you know a teacher who plans field trips to city
hall or organizes community volunteer projects? Maybe you know an instructor who
invites veterans into the classroom to discuss their military experiences. Perhaps you are
familiar with a teacher who fosters the development of democratic values and beliefs
through special projects. If you know of such a teacher, honor him or her today.
2. All current certified/licensed teachers in grades K-12 are eligible. Previous national
winners are ineligible. Nominations can be submitted by themselves, fellow teachers,
supervisors, family members or other interested individuals.
Documentation Required for all Candidates:
1. All Post-level nominees should provide a one-page resume as a minimum or up to five
pages as a maximum of documentation of their teaching experience (for example:
references, news articles, etc.) and a head-and-shoulder photo of themselves, if available.
These items will be forwarded on to the Department with the winning teacher entry form.
*ALL ENTRY FORMS MUST BE SUBMITED TO A POST!
HELP SPREAD THE WORD TO RECGONIZE A DESERVING TEACHER IN YOUR AREA TODAY BY USING THE BROCHURE BELOW: